|NEW ORLEANS – The NOPD is searching for a suspect seen on video surveillance in commission of a vehicle theft in the 1500 block of Esplanade Avenue on June 15, 2018.
At about 4:50 p.m., the victims left their vehicle with the engine idling while parked at a Discount Zone gas station in the 1500 block of Esplanade Avenue. The pictured male subject was seen on video surveillance approaching and entering the vehicle, before fleeing the area. The subject was attired in only a hospital gown and yellow socks.
Surveillance video of this incident can be viewed at https://youtu.be/aoRS0PwRWeY.
Anyone with information on this incident is asked to contact First District detectives at 504-658-6010 or call Crimestoppers at 504-822-1111 or toll-free at 1-877-903-STOP.
Auto Burglary and Theft Prevention
Vehicle burglaries and thefts are largely avoidable. Here are some tips on how to avoid car break-ins and thefts.
1. Lock the doors
2. Close windows and sunroofs
3. Don’t leave valuables such as laptops, cell phones, wallets, purses or GPS devices in plain view
4. Put away the garage door opener and any items with personal information
5. Move valuables to the trunk before reaching your destination
6. Don’t leave any keys in the vehicle, including a valet key or a spare key for another vehicle that parks near yours in your garage, driveway, etc.
7. Park in a well-lighted place whenever possible
8. Use the emergency brake when parking to make it more difficult for a thief to tow your vehicle away.
# # #