NOPD Recruits Hit the Streets Today after Graduation
NEW ORLEANS – The NOPD welcomed 25 new officers yesterday to the department after each completed a total of 26 weeks of training. As of today, each recruit has been assigned to district stations across the city and are partnered with an experienced NOPD officer, known as a Field Training Officer (FTO). The FTO will mentor the recruits through 16 weeks of field training. Following field training, the recruits will become full-fledged officers.
The recruits graduated in a ceremony held at McDonogh 35 College Preparatory High School. Executive Committee member of the New Orleans Police & Justice Foundation and Board Vice Chairman & President of Latter & Blum, Inc, Rick Hasse, served as the keynote speaker at the ceremony, which included remarks from Superintendent Michael Harrison and Mayor Mitch Landrieu, who referenced this being his last NOPD graduation as Mayor of New Orleans.
Class #181 started training at the NOPD Academy in September 2017 where each recruit underwent training eight hours a day, Monday through Friday. This is the fifteenth recruit class to graduate from the NOPD Training Academy since 2010.
Majority of the recruits who graduated in Class #181 earned a college degree or served in the military prior to joining the police department.
Among the 25 recruits:
- 11 recruits have military experience;
- 10 recruits have Bachelor’s Degrees, 4 recruits have Associate’s Degrees, 1 recruit has a Master’s Degree and;
- 14 recruits are joining the NOPD from out of state and out of the country, including recruits from North Ireland, New Jersey, Tennessee, Illinois, Ohio, North Carolina, Massachusetts, Texas and Virginia .
Class #181 recruits graduating include:
The following recruits were recognized for outstanding achievement in the following training areas:
- Louis J. Sirgo Memorial Award—Recruit Jesse Meyer
- FOP Mac Bolden Precision Shooting Award—Recruit Brandon Abadie
- BOP Tactical Driving Award—Recruit Chad Clark
- POWER Report Writing Award—Recruit Joshua Burkhart
- PANO Physical Fitness Award—Recruit Joshua Burkhart
- Scholastic Achievement Award—Recruit Joshua Burkhart
- New Mackie Shilstone Peak Performance Award—Recruit Kayla Ranatza-Doyle
Training is already underway for Class #182, which is expected to graduate this year as one of the biggest classes to kick off 2018.
# # #